Bush wants religion taught in the science classroom
Larry C. Lyons
2005-08-02 20:19:57 UTC
From this morning's washington post
washingtonpost.com
Bush: Intelligent Design Should Be Taught
OK that subject line is a bit biased but I noticed this little tidbit
in this morning's Washington Post. He has fits over how well children
are doing in our classrooms (ie., No Child Left Behind), and yet wants
to help guarentee that they will be left behind, at least when it
comes to science instruction.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/02/AR2005080200493.html?sub=AR
and for the link challenged:
http://tinyurl.com/9gg7z

The Associated Press
Tuesday, August 2, 2005; 7:05 AM

WASHINGTON -- President Bush said Monday he believes schools should
discuss "intelligent design" alongside evolution when teaching
students about the creation of life.

During a round-table interview with reporters from five Texas
newspapers, Bush declined to go into detail on his personal views of
the origin of life. But he said students should learn about both
theories, Knight Ridder Newspapers reported.

"I think that part of education is to expose people to different
schools of thought," Bush said. "You're asking me whether or not
people ought to be exposed to different ideas, the answer is yes."

The theory of intelligent design says life on earth is too complex to
have developed through evolution, implying that a higher power must
have had a hand in creation.

Christian conservatives _ a substantial part of Bush's voting base _
have been pushing for the teaching of intelligent design in public
schools. Scientists have rejected the theory as an attempt to force
religion into science education.

On other topics during the group interview, the president:

_Refused to discuss the investigation into whether political aide Karl
Rove or any other White House official leaked a CIA officer's
identity, but he stood behind Rove. "Karl's got my complete
confidence. He's a valuable member of my team," Bush said.

_Said he did not ask Supreme Court nominee John Roberts about his
views on Roe v. Wade, the 1973 decision that legalized abortion.

_Said he hopes to work with Congress to pass an immigration reform
bill this fall, including provisions for guest workers and enhanced
security along the U.S.-Mexico border.

Bush spoke with reporters from the San Antonio Express-News, the
Houston Chronicle, The Dallas Morning News, the Fort Worth
Star-Telegram and The Austin American-Statesman.
(c) 2005 The Associated Press

Nick McClure
2005-08-02 20:30:02 UTC
He wants both taught, right? I'm not sure how more info leaves anybody
behind.
Ben Doom
2005-08-02 20:49:09 UTC
In that case, let me tell you about my last date.....

--Ben "TMI" Doom
Jim Davis
2005-08-02 21:05:11 UTC
2005-08-02 21:31:51 UTC
Well, ID doesn't so much ignore them, as come out and say the exist because
something else said so.

ID at its basic form claims that there was some sort of thought behind what
was better than one thing, it is considered better to be this or that.

I'm not sure why that doesn't have a place in school. I'm not saying I agree
with the theory, I'm just saying that when the majority of the Country
thinks it is fact, preventing the schools system from teaching it does a
disservice to the students.

If Mom and Dad tell me God created earth and man in his image, but school
tells me this is wrong, what else is school lying to me about?
Jim Davis
2005-08-02 22:01:31 UTC
2005-08-03 08:15:52 UTC
Religion belongs in churches, temples, and mosques- not in schools. If you want your child to have a religious education, put them in a religious school or home-school them.

As far as ID goes, it isn't a theory in the scientific sense. It is a belief. There is no physical evidence of ID, any more than there is physical evidence that super-aliens inhabit our brains and give us the power to do remarkable things if we can just harness that power. Does that mean we are going to allow discussion of this core belief of Scientology as a credible alternative to evolution? Where does it end? Does that mean we should discuss some people's belief that we were deposited here by aliens for a "mad science" experiment as a serious scientific theory? Show me the evidence, please! That is what scientific inquiry is about.

Either we limit the teaching of the origins of humans to well-defined scientific theory- evolution- or we open the door for discussion of anything at all. That's not to say that evolution is immutable law. It is, after all, still only a scientific theory. If someone produces credible evidence tomorrow that totally debunks evolution, we can take it out of the textbooks. I don't believe that will ever happen, but hey, in science the whole idea is to be a sceptic until your last breath. Sort of the exact opposite of religious belief.
Matthew Small
2005-08-02 20:35:21 UTC
Geez, Larry. You never miss a chance to bash religion. I don't understand
what your beef with this is - he didn't say he wanted to replace the
evolution theory, he just wants Intelligent Design taught alongside it.

Matthew Small

Kevin Graeme
Sam
2005-08-02 20:53:43 UTC
Not even as history?
Charlie Griefer
2005-08-02 20:59:20 UTC
teaching history says that "people A hated people B because people B
believed in the God of Porcupines while People A believed in the God
of Sticky Things.

You're not teaching the religion. You're teaching about people who
subscribed to the religion.

I'm not particularly religious myself...but I do want my kids to have
a belief in God. I don't expect public schools to instill that belief
tho. Even as a non-practicing Jew, I go to church every Sunday with
my wife and kids (wife is Lutheran, raising the kids Lutheran) because
instilling the belief is my job as a parent...or the job of a
parochial school if we decide not to send the kids to public schools.

Religion is a VERY personal thing and varies greatly from person to
person and does NOT belong in public schools. Maybe various public
school systems should be trying harder to improve the areas they do
teach instead of looking for new areas in which to fail.
Post by Sam
Not even as history?
Sam
2005-08-02 21:20:06 UTC
So Adam and Eve, Noah The whole Red Sea thing should never be
mentioned in a classroom? How about the Trojan War? Can we mention
Poseidon or Zeus?

I don't think kids should be taught religion in school but it's
important that they're informed about religion to help understand
history and culture.
Charlie Griefer
2005-08-02 21:25:51 UTC
Post by Sam
So Adam and Eve, Noah The whole Red Sea thing should never be
mentioned in a classroom? How about the Trojan War? Can we mention
Poseidon or Zeus?
anything can be mentioned. it depends upon the context in which it's mentioned.
Post by Sam
I don't think kids should be taught religion in school but it's
important that they're informed about religion to help understand
history and culture.
I agree with this...maybe :)

Yes, in teaching history and culture, you're going to have to mention
religion. But as I said earlier...you're not teaching the
religion...you're teaching about people to subscribed to the religion.

I think Kevin Graeme said it best...and very succinctly... a few messages ago:

"There's a difference in teaching a religious belief of history and
teaching the history of a religion."
Sam
2005-08-02 23:01:12 UTC
How do you teach history without explaining what the different beliefs
between the Romans and Jews? How can you even mention Jesus or Mohamed
without explaining the religions?
How can even talk about 9/11 without teaching about Islam and
Christianity? Try to explain to the kids that 9/11 happened because
some Muslims felt... well we can't tell you what they felt without
teaching you about the religion.
Charlie Griefer
2005-08-02 23:10:57 UTC
teaching about the religion in the context of a larger history lesson
is still NOT teaching the religion.

Explaining the differences in religious beliefs between the Romans and
Jews is NOT teaching Judiasm nor is it teaching Christianity.

You're Jewish. Did you go to Hebrew School as a kid? I did. -That-
is teaching religion. It's not in the context of history (altho the
history of the religion was certainly a large part of it). It's in
the context of learning about Judiasm for the explicit purpose of
learning about Judiasm. Would you expect the things you learned in
Hebrew School to be taught in public schools? And I mean to the
degree that they taught them in Hebrew School?

What part of what I'm saying are you disagreeing with, specifically?
I never said religion should not be mentioned in public schools. I
said it should not be taught in public schools. There's a difference
between teaching a religion, and explaining about a religion in the
context of a larger lesson (as I've said a few times already). Help
me out here. What part of what I've said indicates that I don't think
a single word regarding religion should be uttered in a public school
classroom?
Sam
2005-08-02 23:36:21 UTC
The thread is about teaching ID and Kevin said, "Religion shouldn't be
taught in public schools."
I'm saying you should be allowed to teach ABOUT religion like
creationism and intelligent design because it's plays into history and
culture.

Just trying to point out the religion in school argument is too vague.
Marlon Moyer
2005-08-02 23:29:20 UTC
How does Christianity play into 9/11? I thought they attacked
America. Is this the new angle the administration is taking? If so,
it'll work well I bet. Nothing could mobilize the U.S. more than
talking about how good Christian people got attacked for their
beliefs. Actually, isn't that the whole history of Christians?
Sam

Kevin Graeme
Sam
2005-08-03 02:02:35 UTC
It's a fine line. Is teaching creationism teaching religion? Is
teaching ID teaching religion? If you add, "this is what they believe"
before explaining it, does that mean your teaching about it?
Andrew Scott
2005-08-03 02:15:39 UTC
G'Day all,

Hoping to spark some interest in what others are doing.

Here is my scenario; I have a common framework that we use to create backend
administration to all our websites. Currently this system is used for many
forms of logins and at the moment to move forward I needed to look at
concerns regarding privacy laws and the impact it will have on us and our
clients.

What I would like to know is how you people are handling this, I have one
client who demands that they need to know all the passwords to the site, and
I am trying to convince them that it is not a wise thing to let clients /
customers know that the password is known by my client.

What I really need is ammunition to approach management to convince them of
the problem, or even if I am wasting my time on this subject. Now as I said
the common framework needs to look at encrypting these passwords to the site
for future bigger blue chip clients.

Regards
Andrew Scott
Analyst Programmer

CMS Transport Systems
Level 2/33 Bank Street
South Melbourne, Victoria, 3205

Phone: 03 9699 7988 - Fax: 03 9699 7976

Gruss Gott
2005-08-03 14:25:41 UTC
Post by Sam
It's a fine line. Is teaching creationism teaching religion? Is
teaching ID teaching religion? If you add, "this is what they believe"
before explaining it, does that mean your teaching about it?
ID is on no higher ground than any other un-scientific theory. It
would be appropriate to present its precepts within a class about all
religions, but nowhere else.

That is, if you had a class that taught the major religions: Judism,
Christianity, Islam, Buddism, Hiduism, etc - ID may deserve a half
hour or so to compare to all of the other creation stories.

Larry C. Lyons
2005-08-03 14:43:24 UTC
Creationism is the creation story of one particular branch of the
protestant wing of the Christian religion. If you teach it in public
schools, then the government is endorsing a particular religion. That
is a direct violation of the separation clause.

Moreover which creation story do you want taugh. The Sumerian
creation, which involves the diety having sex with himself (rather
impressive sort of story), various gods, goddesses, daughters and
sons, all in very lurid detail? Basically anything that moved (or
didn't move) was fair game as far as he was concerned.

How about the Aztec, Hindu or Hellenic Greek creation mythos.

By chosing one mythos and teaching it in science classes, you are
endorsing a religion.

As for ID, by postulating a creator, then that pushes the theory, I
call it such only in its most venacular sense, over to a religious
belief, again violating the first amendment. As for being a scientific
theory, that's been gone over multiple times. It simply is not.

If you want your kid to learn creation myths as scientific theory, you
can teach that to your own kids, why should I have to pay for
another's religious beliefs?
Howie Hamlin
2005-08-02 21:49:12 UTC
--- On Tuesday, August 02, 2005 5:20 PM, Sam scribed: ---
Post by Sam
So Adam and Eve, Noah The whole Red Sea thing should never be
mentioned in a classroom? How about the Trojan War? Can we mention
Poseidon or Zeus?
These are already taught as "mythology" - I doubt that Bush wants creationism taught as mythology...
Post by Sam
I don't think kids should be taught religion in school but it's
important that they're informed about religion to help understand
history and culture.
I agree - especially since religion bred a lot of strife and wars that are directly related to major event in history...

Howie

Sam
2005-08-02 23:04:46 UTC
I was a side response to Kevin saying religion should not be taught in
school at all
Jim Davis
2005-08-02 21:31:40 UTC
2005-08-02 21:02:46 UTC
How about as a theory that does not mention Jesus Christ, Allah, Budda or
Loki? If we're talking about science, it is, another theory of how life
developed on Earth, regardless of whether or not you choose to believe it.

Put another way, it should be either all or none. The teaching of evolution
directly conflicts with many, if not most, religious explanations. To teach
only evolution would be in effect a religious/anti-religious movement
(atheism?) which serves to undermine the religious teachings that the parent
conveys onto the child.

Further, even if you consider this purely religion, rather than science, the
Constitution says that no prohibition to practice religion will be condoned.
That part of the Constitution is usually forgotten in the effort to atheize
(my new word) the US.

Matthew Small

Religion shouldn't be taught in public schools.
Kevin Graeme
Jim Davis
2005-08-02 21:22:52 UTC
2005-08-03 11:18:47 UTC
Agreed, which brought up my original response.

Matthew Small

2005-08-03 15:08:26 UTC
Well it's a pretty fundamental issue as far as science education goes,
but I guess if we haven't convinced people on this list that it
shouldn't be taught in school, after LOTS of threads on the topic,
then I think it's a lost cause with the larger public.

-Kevin

Jim Davis
2005-08-02 21:21:19 UTC
2005-08-02 23:38:25 UTC
Then we shouldn't teach gravity, or that the heart circulates blood,
or BATHING or that the Earth is not flat and revolves around the sun,
since all of these have been strictly held anti-beliefs of
Christianity.

If you are going to include "intelligent design", then you need to
include the earth as turtle, L Ron's mumbo-jumbo, and all of the other
creation-myths out there.

If "intelligent design" ever achieves real recognition as a scientific
theory, it WILL get taught. But right now it is a fringe theory,
without any credence by accredited, reknowned scientists.
Sam
2005-08-02 23:47:28 UTC
I think it's important to teach that, it'll help our kids understand
that Tom Cruise and John Trovalta ain't right in the head :)
Jerry Johnson
2005-08-03 00:02:09 UTC
Maybe ID should be taught as a lesson in applying scientific
principles to a theory. By this measure, wouldn't it be debunked
fairly quickly as a theory? I wonder if this is a possibility thought
of by the proponents of ID?

As for religion being taught in the schools, I think comparative
religion classes should be mandatory. Knowing the ins-and-outs of
religions, cultures and societies is an important social tool, IMHO.
Organized religions spend a lot of time explaining why "Our Way" is
the only right way. A little more understanding of how close the
others have it might go a long way towards a kinder, gentler nation.

For example, the information I have gained on these lists about
Judaism and Catholicism have been very enlightening.

Jim Davis
2005-08-03 00:05:00 UTC
Then we shouldn't teach gravity, or that the heart circulates blood,
or BATHING or that the Earth is not flat and revolves around the sun,
since all of these have been strictly held anti-beliefs of
Christianity.
If you are going to include "intelligent design", then you need to
include the earth as turtle, L Ron's mumbo-jumbo, and all of the other
creation-myths out there.
Sort of - ID, in and of itself, is not "bad" - it's definitely more
scientific that "Earth as a Turtle". ;^)

ID could very well become the preferred scientific explanation: if it meets
scientific standards (which it doesn't now). Science has no problem
supplanting one theory with another if the new theory explains things better
- especially if the new theory is simpler and has less baggage.

But ID just isn't there. It may never get there (in my opinion it never
will with the proponents it has now) but science doesn't even close the door
on the possibility.
If "intelligent design" ever achieves real recognition as a scientific
theory, it WILL get taught. But right now it is a fringe theory,
without any credence by accredited, reknowned scientists.
This is what I'm talking about.

Jim Davis

Larry C. Lyons
2005-08-03 00:42:58 UTC
So in that case, speaking as Pope, the late John Paul's encyclical on
evolution was incorrect? It concluded that there was evolution and the
teachings of the Catholic Church were not in conflict. Same with the
Episcopalian and most other protestant churches. Only the evangelical
churches that follow a prescript of biblical literalism or other
fundimentalist belief object to the scientific theory of evolution
being taught in science classes.

I am all for competing theories being taught in science classes.
Provided the following: the competing theory fit within the same
criteria as any scientific theory; It explains the available data more
adequately than the current theories and is testable.

Only the theory of evolution fit all these criteria. Creationism fails
on all of them and Intelligent Design fails on all as well.

I have no objection to your practicing religion in its proper place.
By wanting to practice it in the school, gives a government stamp of
approval to that religious belief. That directly violates the
separation clause.

larry
Kevin Graeme
2005-08-02 21:11:36 UTC
There's a difference in teaching a religious belief of history and
teaching the history of a religion.

-Kevin
Post by Sam
Not even as history?
Gruss Gott
2005-08-02 21:31:36 UTC
Post by Sam
Not even as history?
Religion is not history and many of the Biblical stories are not
documented history, but just stories.

I could see having a literature class that examined the Bible, Koran,
etc as literature, but not cover any of the religion behind it.

Also Intelligent Design should not be taught anywhere as it's not part
of any academic discipline. That is, it's not science or biology or
chemistry or literature, etc.

Jim Davis
2005-08-02 21:07:05 UTC
2005-08-03 00:33:28 UTC
I have nothing against religion or believers, except those who want
their particular belief set taught in science classes. I have no
problem with creation stories being taught in comparative religion or
history classes, as long as all such stories are taught. Let the kids
learn about how the Summerians and Babylonians viewed creation. Or how
the Inuit creation story has similarities to the Lapps of northern
Finland.

ID has nothing to do with science, its just another form of
creationism - very much like an old hooker in new clothing.

larry
SStewart
2005-08-02 20:49:06 UTC
I don't see where Larry's bashing religion...

I don't see how one brand of religion can be interjected into a *public* school system. If we are teaching religion in public schools should we not be teaching *all* religions, not just the brand that the current president's handlers preach.

This is where it gets sticky, if you start teaching "neo-con" Christianity in public schools, then you're going to have the Jewish, Moslems, Mormons, Buddhists, non- neocon Christians, Atheists, Wiccans, and every other group saying "why aren't our views taught?"

If you want your kids to learn "Intelligent Design" then find a private school that teaches what you want your kids to learn.

This, Ladies and Gentlemen one of the reasons that "Separation of Church and State" was created.

Scott A. Stewart,
Web Application Developer

Engineering Consulting Services, Ltd. (ECS)
14026 Thunderbolt Place, Suite 300
Chantilly, VA 20151
Phone: (703) 995-1737
Fax: (703) 834-5527

"Many thousands of years ago, a blue faced Pict stepped on a bloated sheep carcass... and thus the Pipes were born"

.... the Scottish Rogues

Marlon Moyer
2005-08-02 21:03:19 UTC
I really don't mind it being taught in schools as long as they put it
in context correctly. Something like:

"The theory of Evolution hypothesizes that given certain conditions
species with change and adapt. Consequently, the most successful
adaptations will prosper will the other's may die out.......etc.

If this theory scares you, uses too many big words, or you just don't
like to think that you are in charge of your own destiny, you may like
to believe in something called Intelligent Design. It makes things
easy by saying "God did it". Also, don't worry, the big yellow disc
in the sky is really just a big lightbulb and every night God changes
it out."
From this morning's washington post
Judith Dinowitz

Marlon Moyer
2005-08-02 23:17:33 UTC
You're right. It is unfair. It's just that the older I grow, the
more I see the evil side of religion. In my teen years I didn't have
a use for religion. In my late 20's I thought I had figured out how
to overlook it and let people do what they want. Then the 2000
election came along and I saw how scary the religious right had
become. Nowadays, there are times when I can't tell that much
difference between the religious right and the Islamic extremists.

At a time when you'd think the general public would look at Islamic
governments and say "Whoa, they have too much religion in their
government", it seems we're trying to do the same thing but with a
different religion. Seriously, in the middle of a "war", why did we
have this big deal about gay marriage. Was it that serious of a
problem?

Marlon
Judith Dinowitz
2005-08-03 03:01:12 UTC
Post by Marlon Moyer
difference between the religious right and the Islamic extremists.
At a time when you'd think the general public would look at Islamic
governments and say "Whoa, they have too much religion in their
government", it seems we're trying to do the same thing but with a
different religion. Seriously, in the middle of a "war", why did we
have this big deal about gay marriage. Was it that serious of a
problem?
Not really, when you put it up against the fact that we're in the middle of a war and winning that war should be our priority.

But this is an issue that strikes deeply at the question of the morality of our society. The idea of giving gays full rights in marriage means that we are accepting the idea of the gay life as just another "lifestyle" and making that acceptance official. This trickles down. To religious people (such as myself), a gay lifestyle is a tremendous sin. Making a gay marriage legal basically gives public approval to the idea of being gay. You can't expect to try to push that through and not have religious people oppose it.

On the other hand, I don't think you'll find religious Christians in this country protesting such a motion by blowing up a pizza parlor or a subway station. That's where you have the difference, Marlon.

Judith

Marlon Moyer
2005-08-03 03:24:23 UTC
Give it time. They already bomb abortion clinics and shoot doctors.
Pizza places aren't far away.

I'm sure the same argument is used in Islamic countries when they're
debating giving women the same rights as men. That's the thing that
cracks me up about religion. Growing up catholic, I was taught that
my religion was right and pretty much everyone else was wrong.
Ironically, it seems that EVERY religion teaches that. Your beliefs
hold that gays marrying is wrong. A lot of Islamic countries don't
believe women should be in government. What's so different about
those two beliefs? Yet we chastize them because their beliefs aren't
ours.

I watched an interview with Sen. Santorum. I really think the guy
believes what he is saying. To me he sounds about as extremist as
some of those were fighting. That scares the crap out of me since
there's rumors he'll run in 2008.
Howie Hamlin
2005-08-03 13:34:42 UTC
--- On Tuesday, August 02, 2005 11:24 PM, Marlon Moyer scribed: ---
Post by Marlon Moyer
Give it time. They already bomb abortion clinics and shoot doctors.
Pizza places aren't far away.
I'm sure the same argument is used in Islamic countries when they're
debating giving women the same rights as men. That's the thing that
cracks me up about religion. Growing up catholic, I was taught that
my religion was right and pretty much everyone else was wrong.
Yep - I experienced the same thing. And, I agree, it's likely an underlying tenet in most religions.
Post by Marlon Moyer
Ironically, it seems that EVERY religion teaches that. Your beliefs
hold that gays marrying is wrong. A lot of Islamic countries don't
believe women should be in government. What's so different about
those two beliefs? Yet we chastize them because their beliefs aren't
ours.
Well, true but I would imagine that the women in Islamic countries do not all believe the same thing as the men...I'm sure that most of them would want to vote, drive a car, etc.
Post by Marlon Moyer
I watched an interview with Sen. Santorum. I really think the guy
believes what he is saying. To me he sounds about as extremist as
some of those were fighting. That scares the crap out of me since
there's rumors he'll run in 2008.
Santorum has about as much of a chance of winning the precidency as Saddam Hussein <g>. Seriously, the guy is looney. I've seen him speak his mind and, although I think that he's an intelligent person, his root beliefs are too radical.

Howie

Marlon Moyer
2005-08-03 14:09:19 UTC
Post by Howie Hamlin
Post by Marlon Moyer
Ironically, it seems that EVERY religion teaches that. Your beliefs
hold that gays marrying is wrong. A lot of Islamic countries don't
believe women should be in government. What's so different about
those two beliefs? Yet we chastize them because their beliefs aren't
ours.
Well, true but I would imagine that the women in Islamic countries do not all believe the same thing as the men...I'm sure that most of them would want to vote, drive a car, etc.
True, but don't you think that most gay and lesbian people also feel that way?
Post by Howie Hamlin
Post by Marlon Moyer
I watched an interview with Sen. Santorum. I really think the guy
believes what he is saying. To me he sounds about as extremist as
some of those were fighting. That scares the crap out of me since
there's rumors he'll run in 2008.
Santorum has about as much of a chance of winning the precidency as Saddam Hussein <g>. Seriously, the guy is looney. I've seen him speak his mind and, although I think that he's an intelligent person, his root beliefs are too radical.
I hope so, but if the country starts to sway more that way, his
beliefs suddenly become not so radical.
Post by Howie Hamlin
Howie
Howie Hamlin
2005-08-03 14:28:39 UTC
I saw Joe Biden on The Daily Show yesterday and he is actively working on a possible run for President in 2008. He also wants John McCain to be his running mate - interesting but McCain has stated over and over again that he would not run with a non-Republican.

Anyway - my only point in bringing this up is that, hopefully, there will be enough good choices in '08 and that we won't have to worry about Rick Sanitorium....oops...I mean "Santorum" <g>

--- On Wednesday, August 03, 2005 10:09 AM, Marlon Moyer scribed: ---
Jerry Johnson
2005-08-03 05:28:17 UTC
You mean like blowing up clinics, gay bars and the Olympics? Like
shooting doctors in their homes?

Nope. Christians would never do that in the name of their faith.
Ian Skinner
2005-08-02 21:14:01 UTC
"The teaching of evolution directly conflicts with many, if not most, religious explanations."

Actually it doesn't if one actually looks at how limited the theroy is. It more or less boils down to "life on earth changes."

Unless you subscribe to the idea that all life on earth has been here as it is since the beginning without changing. And I would wonder what one with such a belief would have to say concerning animal husbandry which has created changes in many types of animals since many started domesticating them. Evolution does not contridiict the idea that a greater power has set this ball rolling or even activily using it to move the world forward.

My 2cents anyway.

--------------
Ian Skinner
Web Programmer
BloodSource
www.BloodSource.org
Sacramento, CA

"C code. C code run. Run code run. Please!"
- Cynthia Dunning

Confidentiality Notice: This message including any
attachments is for the sole use of the intended
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender and
delete any copies of this message.

Howie Hamlin
2005-08-02 21:46:23 UTC
Well, evolution posits that life on this world is millions of years old. Creationism puts it at more like 5,000 so that is a big conflict.

HOwie

--- On Tuesday, August 02, 2005 5:14 PM, Ian Skinner scribed: ---
Judith Dinowitz

SStewart
2005-08-02 21:18:49 UTC
How about as a theory that does not mention Jesus Christ, Allah, Budda or
Loki? If we're talking about science, it is, another theory of how life
developed on Earth, regardless of whether or not you choose to believe it.

Put another way, it should be either all or none. The teaching of evolution
directly conflicts with many, if not most, religious explanations. To teach
only evolution would be in effect a religious/anti-religious movement
(atheism?) which serves to undermine the religious teachings that the parent
conveys onto the child.
Post by Kevin Graeme
no this is called science, there is no anti-religious anything except what is in the mind of the paranoid.
Further, even if you consider this purely religion, rather than science, the
Constitution says that no prohibition to practice religion will be condoned.
That part of the Constitution is usually forgotten in the effort to atheize
(my new word) the US.
Post by Kevin Graeme
There is no effort to atheize the US, there *is* an effort underway to "Christianize" (in the neo-con quazi-politcal, profit making, exclude those we don't see fit, sense of the word) this country.
The attempt to do this goes against the first amendment.

Howie Hamlin
2005-08-02 22:01:09 UTC
If evolution from primoridal soup to modern man occurred in only 5000 years then would it not be valid to expect that man would have changed significantly since the beginning of recorded history? And, since this is not the case, then isn't it also valid to assume that evolution would have occurred over millions of years? After all, it's called "evolution" and not "revolution" <g>

Howie

--- On Tuesday, August 02, 2005 5:56 PM, Ian Skinner scribed: ---
Jim Davis
2005-08-02 22:10:57 UTC
2005-08-02 22:06:03 UTC
Wait, Creationism and ID are two different things.

Evolution doesn't address the age of the planet, neither does ID. They
only address how life came to be.

If somebody is including the creation in ID, then they are teaching it
wrong.

Ian Skinner
2005-08-02 22:08:18 UTC
I'm actually not sure what your argument was. But I think it ended up supporting my idea, at least the way I read it.

Whether you subscribe to millions of years or 5000, evolution is happy to be there to support changes to life. Man has changed in the last 5000 years. We have changed in the last 1000. The average height is several inches taller then man in the middle ages. Our pinkies are shrinking. Brain size has increased.

Now if you want to get from a single cell to a modern human, then you probably aren't looking at most religious texts anyway so the probably are not trying to squeeze all that into the last few millennia.

--------------
Ian Skinner
Web Programmer
BloodSource
www.BloodSource.org
Sacramento, CA

"C code. C code run. Run code run. Please!"
- Cynthia Dunning

....If evolution from primoridal soup to modern man occurred in only 5000
....years then would it not be valid to expect that man would have changed
....significantly since the beginning of recorded history? And, since this
....is not the case, then isn't it also valid to assume that evolution would
....have occurred over millions of years? After all, it's called "evolution"
....and not "revolution" <g>
....Howie
....--- On Tuesday, August 02, 2005 5:56 PM, Ian Skinner scribed: ---
....>
....> I don't think evolution posits the age of anything. Archeology I'm
....> sure has something to say, fossils and all that. Now evolution is
....> happy to posit a reason for the changes in animals noted by
....> archeologists. But if all archeological evidence is disproved and a
....> creation date is found to be exactly 5000 years ago, evolution is
....> still valid, because life has still changed in that time.
....>
....> Anthropology might also have something to say about how long man has
....> been around.
....>
....> --------------
....> Ian Skinner
....> Web Programmer
....> BloodSource
....> www.BloodSource.org
....> Sacramento, CA
....>

Nick McClure
2005-08-02 22:09:07 UTC
Many religious scholars agree that the 5000 year thing is a bit off the
wall. There are some hardliners out there that still think that way.

Most will also agree that because the bible and those stories make no
statement about what constitutes a day, or a year, that there is no true
way to determine the time span.

Ian Skinner

Jim Davis
2005-08-02 22:28:14 UTC
One thing I've always wondered about. If one takes the passage in the
Bible that lists the order of creation. It is not really all that far off
from the order provided by in evolution (if we ignore the time scale
differences). It lists the animals in basically the same order from
simpler to more complex ending at man. Even starting in the seas and
going to land.
In my mind they really do not conflict.
I always thought the little scene in "Oh God" about this was cute (I know
I've got it wrong):

"Did you really create the whole world in just one day?"

"Sure. But my days are a lot longer than yours."

Jim Davis

Nick McClure
2005-08-02 22:24:36 UTC
Jim, there is a very simple argument that while I don't agree with, is
almost impossible for science to argue with.

Faith.

Hard line religions tell us that the scientific evidence you claim is
fact was placed there by god to tell the good people from the infidels.

Now, I haven't read much of the papers behind ID, but what little I have
read doesn't deal with the actual creation of the universe, or the
earth. Or even of the religious stories in the bible.

Just that a creator, made certain determinations as to what types of
living things there would be, and how they would interact with the other
ones.

All I'm saying, is what if, what if God created Earth, set everything up
the way he did, and while he was playing around for what to us would
seem like to us a few million years, was to him a few days.

The truth is that the bible doesn't really talk about this stuff.

If you are teaching ID in the biology class, then it should deal with
the creation of the earth, just of life. Same with Evolution, which also
doesn't deal with the creation of the earth, or of life for that matter,
only the changes of life after it was created.

Jim Davis
2005-08-02 22:34:28 UTC
2005-08-02 22:41:53 UTC
For those that have never actually read about this stuff CSICOP has a very
good critique of ID here:

http://www.csicop.org/si/2001-09/design.html

Obviously it's critical, but it covers much of the more pragmatic material
(it leaves out the biblical literalists for example) and offers a nice
historical overview.

Jim Davis

DRE
2005-08-02 22:50:26 UTC
What kills me is that ID is a product of evolution! They couldnt get
creationism into schools so they changed it to something that might.

DRE
Jim Davis
2005-08-02 23:20:56 UTC
2005-08-02 23:43:15 UTC
Here's a good write-up of ID.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design

Kind of long, I only read half, but that half was interesting.
Nick McClure
2005-08-02 22:41:20 UTC
You telling me faith isn't needed to explain science? I'm sure as hell
relying on faith every time I board and airplane. Sure I know the
science behind it, air beneath the wing is denser than the air above it.

We must rely on faith, because we certainly don't know for sure. We have
a pretty good idea, but what is to say there isn't something that can
change those rules?

What if tomorrow gravity was just a bit stronger? What if the world
started to spin faster?

Jim Davis
2005-08-02 23:06:19 UTC
2005-08-03 01:18:18 UTC
How do you debunk something that is not provable. ID relies on faith.
Science cannot disprove it.

Jim Davis
2005-08-03 02:50:00 UTC
2005-08-03 01:21:22 UTC
So, how exactly do you test evolution? How do you prove that evolution
is not the result of a greater power influencing the change?

The question of God will always come into play because to those people
that believe God created the heavens and the earth and creatures and
man, then how will you ever prove to them that God does not exist, and
that God did not design the creatures, in the order prescribed in
Genesis?

Larry C. Lyons
2005-08-03 01:50:15 UTC
Rather than answer in my halting way, I'll let the talk.origins FAQ
explain - it offers some examples of evolution making some
predictions. As for your other point, how do you demonstrate support
for the negative.

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CA/CA210.html

3. Evolution has been the basis of many predictions. For example:

* Darwin predicted, based on homologies with African apes,
that human ancestors arose in Africa. That prediction has been
supported by fossil and genetic evidence (Ingman et al. 2000).
* Theory predicted that organisms in heterogeneous and
rapidly changing environments should have higher mutation rates. This
has been found in the case of bacteria infecting the lungs of chronic
cystic fibrosis patients (Oliver et al. 2000).
* Predator-prey dynamics are altered in predictable ways by
evolution of the prey (Yoshida et al. 2003).
* Ernst Mayr predicted in 1954 that speciation should be
accompanied with faster genetic evolution. A phylogenetic analysis has
supported this prediction (Webster et al. 2003).
* Several authors predicted characteristics of the ancestor
of craniates. On the basis of a detailed study, they found the fossil
Haikouella "fit these predictions closely" (Mallatt and Chen 2003).
* Evolution predicts that different sets of character data
should still give the same phylogenetic trees. This has been confirmed
informally myriad times and quantitatively, with different protein
sequences, by Penny et al. (1982).

With predictions such as these and others, evolution can be, and
has been, put to practical use in areas such as drug discovery and
avoidance of resistant pests.

4. If evolution's low power to make future predictions keeps it
from being a science, then some other fields of study cease to be
sciences, too, especially archeology and astronomy.

Links:
Wilkins, John. 1997. Evolution and philosophy: Predictions and
explanations. http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/evolphil/predict.html
1. Ingman, M., H. Kaessmann, S. Paaba and U. Gyllensten. 2000.
Mitochondrial genome variation and the origin of modern humans. Nature
408: 708-713 . See also: Blair Hedges, S. 2000. A start for population
genomics. Nature 408: 552-553. See also: Thomson, Jeremy, 2000 (7
Dec.). Humans did come out of Africa, says DNA. Nature Science Update,
http://www.nature.com/nsu/001207/001207-8.html
2. Mallatt, J. and J.-Y. Chen. 2003. Fossil sister group of
craniates: Predicted and found. Journal of Morphology 258(1): 1-31.
3. Oliver, Antonio et al. 2000. High frequency of hypermutable
Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cystic fibrosis lung infection. Science 288:
1251-1253. See also Rainey, P. B. and R. Moxon. 2000. When being hyper
keeps you fit. Science 288: 1186-1187. See also: LeClerc, J. E. and T.
A. Cebula. 2000. Pseudomonas survival strategies in cystic fibrosis
(letter), 2000. Science 289: 391-392.
4. Penny, David, L. R. Foulds, and M. D. Hendy. 1982. Testing the
theory of evolution by comparing phylogenetic trees constructed from
five different protein sequences. Nature 297: 197-200.
5. Webster, Andrea J., Robert J. H. Payne, and Mark Pagel. 2003.
Molecular phylogenies link rates of evolution and speciation. Science
301: 478.
6. Yoshida, T., L. E. Jones, S. P. Ellner, G. F. Fussmann and N. G.
Hairston Jr. 2003. Rapid evolution drives ecological dynamics in a
predator-prey system. Nature 424: 303-306.

Further Reading:
Rainey, Paul. 2003. Evolution: Five big questions: 4. Is evolution
predictable? New Scientist 178(2399) (14 June): 37-38.
S. Isaac Dealey
2005-08-03 01:46:32 UTC
Post by Jim Davis
For those that have never actually read about this stuff
CSICOP has a very
http://www.csicop.org/si/2001-09/design.html
Obviously it's critical, but it covers much of the more
pragmatic material
(it leaves out the biblical literalists for example) and
offers a nice
historical overview.
Jim Davis
It's a good writeup... It's unfortunate that people seem to be either
well versed in the science and poorly educated in the philosophy or
well versed in religion (not philosophy) and poorly versed in the
science. It might be nice to a writeup of such a thing from someone
well versed in both science and philosophy. This particular writeup is
lacking in the philosophy department.

Although I'm not going to dispute his conclusions, I will point out
two things he missed:

1) he describes "intelligent natural design" as being the product of
humans or possibly extraterrestrials, but overlooks the fact that
there are other terrestrial organisms which engage in intelligent
natural design. I've sceen film footage of a gorilla carefully
removing each individual leaf from a long (and comparatively fragile)
twig in order to use the twig as a tool to fetch ants or termites to
eat. While it's certainly not the brooklyn bridge, I can't imagine how
or why someone could describe this as not being intelligent or not
being an instance of design (given his explanation of "design" in the
article).

2) It is not necessary for an "omnipotent" and omnibenevolent deity to
create perfect organisms. The assumption that such a deity would
necessarily create perfect biological organisms requires a predicated
belief that perfect organisms were in fact God's intent in our design
(the end is the means). It is entirely possible that a metaphysical
outcome (spiritual growth for example) requires the experience of an
imperfect biological body, hence the imperfection would in fact be
part of the "efficient cause" of our being (the blueprint for our
spiritual growth). If you want to get nit-picky you could say that a
truly "omnipotent" deity could simply instill spiritual growth in us
without the need for us living, although if that's the case, then why
would we exist at all, even as non-corporeal spirits? What purpose
could/would we serve if there were no need for us to ever do anything?
So I submit that there is perhaps an ... "experiential barrier" (for
lack of a better term) which need not limit the physical omnipotence
of a deity but which may place some absolute limits on circumstantial
"potential" via certain paradoxes (i.e. can the omnipotent god create
a rock so heavy the omnipotent god can't lift it?).

The cartoon is sweet! :)

s. isaac dealey 954.522.6080
new epoch : isn't it time for a change?

add features without fixtures with
the onTap open source framework

http://www.fusiontap.com
http://coldfusion.sys-con.com/author/4806Dealey.htm

Jim Davis
2005-08-03 03:20:45 UTC
For those that have never actually read about this stuff
CSICOP has a very
http://www.csicop.org/si/2001-09/design.html
Obviously it's critical, but it covers much of the more
pragmatic material
(it leaves out the biblical literalists for example) and
offers a nice
historical overview.
Jim Davis
It's a good writeup... It's unfortunate that people seem to be either
well versed in the science and poorly educated in the philosophy or
well versed in religion (not philosophy) and poorly versed in the
science. It might be nice to a writeup of such a thing from someone
well versed in both science and philosophy. This particular writeup is
lacking in the philosophy department.
Well I would argue that it's not needed. ID proponent's whole argument is
that ID is a science. "Pure science", not religion, not philosophy.

Either defense or criticism of it should then be purely scientific, don't
you think?

There is definitely the social aspect of ID, the religious under- (and
over-) tones and such that could make for many interesting philosophical
articles and discussions: but to critique ID you must do it on the terms
laid out.
Although I'm not going to dispute his conclusions, I will point out
Honestly your issues are with the part of the article I personally didn't
like much. ;^)

The idea he tried to present was interesting, but he presented to quickly,
with too little detail and with too many absolute statements. I'mnot sure
if it was just the limited space of the magazine or what but that whole last
section just kind of (for me) meandered on without saying all that much.

Although the first point -- tool-using in animals -- has been hotly debated
for years. How much of it is "design" and how much is instinct? It's been
proven in several cases that some behaviors must be taught or they don't
appear and others appear regardless of teaching.

Does an ape "Design" his termite twig? Is there intelligence, or (to be a
little dramatic) an elegance to a Sea Otter's selection of clam-cracker?

Certain behaviors (some pretty complex) are specific to certain families of
dolphins or chimps but are unseen in others.

All told it's a really fascinating subject. ;^)

Jim Davis

James Smith
2005-08-03 08:50:23 UTC
I can't believe this subject keeps cropping up as an issue, I mean it has
generated 70 messages over night, and it's a load of bollox!

Don't get me wrong, if you want to believe in a creator, that's fine. If
you want to believe the earth is 6000 years old, that's fine too. I don't
believe it for one second but it is your choice and I won't knock it or try
to impose my beliefs upon you.

If you want creationism taught in your public schools that is also your
right, vote for it, change your constitution, do whatever it takes.

DO NOT mistake it for a science.

Intelligent Design is a bullshit cover up way of putting spin onto
creationism, it is religion no matter what you call it.

Over here we have a way round this, we have Religious Studies classes where
all of the worlds religions are taught. For three years I spent 1 hour a
week learning about these religions. This is where ID should be taught.

This is an argument that I am sure will run and run, and I have no doubt
that eventually the religious right will will. It is a sad day when the
most advanced, wealthiest and most scientific country in the world adopts
religious beliefs as truth and scientific.

Teaching it is fine, teaching it isn't a bad thing, teaching it as a science
is crap, there is NO science behind ID.

--
Jay